Monday, February 18, 2008

Firsts #6 Turkey Day Bucks



Isaac's my reminder of how God does good things through bad circumstances. Amy and I had just moved to Anchorage. Times were tough, jobs were hard to come by. So I was working for a temp agency stocking auto parts at a warehouse and not very happy about it, when I met this quirky guy named Isaac who was also originally from Oregon. As we shouldered alternators (well, I did alternators, Isaac was more into lighter parts like decals and gear shift knob covers) conversation turned to elk hunting and fly fishing and a friendship was born. Pretty soon we we're ditching work to watch Silverado (I had to see it since Ike had recited the entire movie to me complete with voices and sound effects). Isaac became my "cool single guy friend" until he up and landed a gal named Katie who is WAAAY out of his league - but that's for another post. Eventually we began prowling the woods together, mostly for bears. But for other things as well and for all the time we spent together we never killed a big game animal together though we screwed up a couple times on a big blackie we called Buster. This last Thanksgiving though Amy and I did the long journey to Prince of Wales Island and got to spend a glorious long weekend hanging out with Isaac & Katie and their two little girls. Ike and I snuck out two mornings in a row and each day had a buck hanging in the shed by noon. Isaac's first buck and our first animals hunting together. Hopefully there will be many more T-day bucks in the future. I thank God for that crappy temp job. BTW-Isaac is an extremely talented writer, you should check out his blogs, http://themadfishicist.blogspot.com/ & http://themadfishicist.wordpress.com/. They are my inspiration for blogging the best on the web.

3 comments:

The Mad Fishicist said...

My personal motto:
"If it weighs more than a spark plug, let Steve stock it."

Those words have gotten me places in life I never dreamed possible.

Fullcurl said...

Remember Mark Froehkle?

Remember throwing that pipe all the way through the truck?

Mean Janice who wouldn't give me any M&M's?

And the best duty of all-crushing cardboard boxes?

Good times. Long live the carquest republic automotive ditribution warehouse of America.

Fullcurl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.