Monday, February 18, 2008

Firsts # 5: Joel's Ram Gulch Hog



Funny how life goes. You met Scott in my last post. Joel was Scott's youth pastor back in the day. Joel was one of the RA's in my dorm my freshman year of college at Pacific Christian in Fullerton, California. Imagine my surprise when Joel ended up as the youth pastor at the church Amy & I were attending. Joel helped bring Scott to Alaska, now the three of us spend some pretty amazing times together chasing critters. I consider him another one of my personal sharpening stones now. Joel was never into hunting growing up, but Scott and I have had the privilege of training him up and now he's starting to become a pretty skookum hunter himself. Now we're getting to see him pass down that heritage to his son Wyatt. Way cool. I've been involved in a number of Joel's firsts. This ram completed the trifecta in 2006. Not bad for a guys first sheep. Scott and I were the proud guides on this one. Be watching for this hunt on video in the near future. The kill scene is pretty spectacular.

1 comment:

JB said...

It is funny how life goes; for me it has been a total blessing thanks to Jesus Christ. I talk to so many men that yearn for the kind of camaraderie that I have the privilege of knowing. Yet, this level of friendship (really a brotherhood) is virtually unfathomable without trusting Christ. That’s the kicker that so many men are unwilling to accept. They want the goods but are unwilling to drop the pride.
I thank God for friends like Steve, and I pray God will use me to be that friend to others.