Saturday, February 16, 2008

Firsts #1 - Tim's Bear


Hunting is my favorite thing, and one of my favorite things about hunting is helping a friend get a "first." Maybe it's their first ever big game animal, or the first of a particular species. Being there with someone for this momentous kill is an honor and a privilege.

This picture is from Snow Camping With Rifles #4, affectionately known as SCWR. It's usually the inagural backcountry trip each summer for a group of us. Tim was one of my first hunting partners in Alaska and still one of my best friends. We'd had several fruitless trips before we finally put it all together and Tim took this black bear. It's not the biggest bear, but it broke the ice for us. I didn't even know this was Tim's first animal until we set out to butcher it. This spring will be SCWR #10, and I think the lot of us that goes on this annual trip have killed 8 bears in this area now.

No comments: