Saturday, February 16, 2008

First #3 - Fullcurl is Born


In 1998, I drew a tag for a sheep hunt in the coveted Tok Management Area, one of the top trophy Dall sheep areas in the world. I'd just started hunting in Alaska. I didn't have the "right" gear, didn't really have a clue what I was doing and had never killed anything bigger than a spike buck previously. But I headed into the mountains anyway, all by myself. For a week those rams absolutely schooled me to the point where I'd given up. I was never going to kill a trophy class animal. I was literally hiking out the morning of day 7 when I looked back over my shoulder and saw those rams again come down out of the crags. When it comes to sheep hunting I've never looked back since.

1 comment:

The Mad Fishicist said...

how did you decide to put in for sheep hunts to begin with? was this your first ever sheep hunt? guess i just don't remember if we talked about this.

i'm thinking about someone's first deer.