Saturday, February 16, 2008

Failure


Many of you know I recently returned from a mountaineering expedition in Argentina. The goal was to summit Aconcagua. At roughly 22,800 feet in height it is the tallest mountain in the world outside of the Himalayas. I prepared for a year. I ran stairs with a heavy pack - often. I bought gear, I studied guidebooks. It was to be the trip of a lifetime, an adventure extraordinaire. We made it to 16,400 feet before an extreme case of altitude sickness overpowered me. This picture was taken the moment I realized I had failed. As I was being medi-vaced via helicopter the summit came into view. It was right there, so tantalizingly close, yet unobtainable. I'm still disappointed, still listening for the Lord to teach me all the valuable life lessons that come from a failure like this. I've had a lot of success in life, but I guess it is good to fail now and again. If you're not failing big, you're not trying big.

1 comment:

Angie said...

Can you really call it failing if God didn't make your body for that kind of altitude?

I'm sorry your trip didn't go as planned. I was disappointed for you when Mom told me. However, I was glad to hear that you were safe and going to be OK.