Wednesday, November 21, 2012

The Rut Continues

First Light Buck

Who needs turkey when there is fresh venison heart available? I shot this Thanksgiving eve buck at first light and was back in the office by 9:30am. I snuck into the middle of a muskeg in the dark and settled in to wait for daylight. Right at first shooting light I felt a tickle in my throat. I couldn't suppress the cough. The buck must have thought I was another buck grunting because a few minutes later he materialized just 20 yards away. I thought that cough had ruined my morning. I was particularly pleased with the tracking job. There was only a scant blood trail and this buck was intent on weaving a mystery for me prior to expiring. I was very thankful when I came upon him, very dead. I am turning this entire buck into jerky. Yum.

No comments: