Thursday, October 11, 2012

DIY Home Improvement #1 "Entryway"

Amy and I are in full on home improvement mode. We just completed our first of many projects on the to-do list this winter. The recent acquisition of a miter saw and table saw have transformed our wood-working abilities. We're mitering, coping, caulking, countersinking, etc. We've been amazed how the right tools are making some nice detailed finish work possible. And if we can't figure out how to do something, there's always a you tube instructional video for everything out there. 

Here's how we transformed our blah entry way into an inviting space beckoning for friend's and family's coats, hats and scarves.

Of course my helper is always ready to get in there at a moment's notice.

First step, framing.

Caulked, filled, sanded and painted.

Amy re-painted the entryway to make it "pop". Hooks installed and artwork hung.
We still need to finish the new molding around the front and closet doors, but here's the finished project. We're finding that I do the rough carpentry well and Amy is heck on wheels with a caulk gun and a paint brush.

We're almost done with Autumn's room renovation. Stay tuned for that.

11 comments:

Sally said...

Gorgeous! I saw something beautiful like this on Pinterest. It's awesome to see it come to life, and look just as awesome, in real life! Color (or paint) me impressed!

Fullcurl said...

Amy did plagerize the idea off the internet. So it probably is a very similar idea.

Angie said...

Well done. I'm loving it.

Anonymous said...

Nice pics.
Home Improvement Los Angeles

Unknown said...

I love the ideas that you've put on your article. I think it's insightful and just purely imaginative. Thank you for sharing. I just think that home improvement loans should be cheaper and the priority of these work should more affordable to every home owner out there who wants to improve their homes.

0s0-Pa said...

Looks like you have a great little helper for your DIY home improvement projects! Cute pic :]
-Jon

Fullcurl said...

http://www.sadalewis.com/2012/02/entryway-project-board-batten-detailed-how-to.html

Here's a link to the site Amy got the idea from.

Unknown said...

Well done, love seeing your home improvement.
Frosted Glass

Unknown said...

That looks really nice and I wish that was in my house. I am looking for my own diy home improvements that I can do to make my house look so much better. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Unknown said...

You make it look so easy.

Martino said...

This is a lot of information regarding choosing the Concrete Contractors Grosse Pointe Farms. Thank you for the post.
Concrete Contractors Grosse Pointe Farms