Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Skating

Here on POW we are allowed to set a halibut skate for subsistence. A buddy and I baited up 30 hooks and dropped them into the sea. After the first 24 hours we had a few rock fish and a couple small halibut. Not enough though. So we reset and went back out to check the line again the next morning. It was looking pretty bleak, and we thought we were going to get skunked until the very last hook on the line came into view. It weighed 87 pounds. Enough to keep a family of four eating halibut for the next year.

3 comments:

Sally said...

Nice one. Normally I'm not a huge halibut fan, but I've discovered fish tacos! Yum and yum. I recommend. As a result our halibut is disappearing faster than in year's past.

Fullcurl said...

you should try Amy's halibut bisque recipe...

Angie said...

We're going fishing next weekend, at Mt Hood Pond. :O) For Josiah's b-day.

Happy Birthday, (a day late) I really did think of you yesterday.