Friday, November 20, 2009

Deer Season Update

Bucks deemed too small to kill: 4
Big bucks that have gotten away: 3
Bucks that sniffed the hood of the truck before it was light enough to shoot: 1

Deer season part 2 has been the best of times and the worst of times. The hunting has progressively gotten better since the end of October and we seem to be at the peak of the rut right now. I've passed on numerous opportunities to take small bucks or does. I had the weird experience of driving down a logging road in the dark, seeing a buck in the headlights and watching it walk up to the truck, take a sniff and walk away. Of course I love being in the woods, observing the deer and learning so much about them. That part has all been good. But it's also been extremely disappointing. I've been trying to get a nice buck with my archery gear and screwed up two opportunities at good bucks. Then yesterday morning I called an absolute brute to within 5 feet and couldn't get a shot. I could barely sleep last night playing the woulda-coulda-shoulda game. An awesome experience, but discouraging and depressing. To be continued...

1 comment:

Sally said...

It's the truck sniffers that make a person edgy about vehicle maintenance. I definitely would be checking my oil if I were you.