Thursday, April 23, 2009

You Know You Live in A Small Town When...


-you hear the float plane take off and you have a pretty good idea who is on it.
-the barber, electrician, ferry boat captain and cable guy all live on your street.
-you call the roofer for a quote and end up talking about hunting for an hour.
-someone you don’t know asks about your recent house fire.
-someone you don’t know asks about the new baby.
-the neighbor knows you didn’t buy any girl scout cookies.
-a co-worker bogs down the town’s internet downloading movies from Netflix.
-you participate in a 5K race and come in first…and last.
-the grocery store is out of milk and the barge doesn’t come for three more days.
-going to the post office is a social event.
-kids ride their bikes to practice with their baseball glove hung over the handlebars.

4 comments:

Scotty said...

I once rode my bike to the golf course with my golf bag over my handlebars. Way tougher then a baseball glove.

The Mad Fishicist said...

when you run into the same person at the grocery store, the bank, the post office, and your front door all in the same hour. each time you have to say an awkward hello.

Sally said...

When we were growing up in Kasilof we had some neighbors across the river that would notice if our lights were not on early enough in the morning. We may have gotten a call once or twice to check on whether we over-slept.

Then there was the time when our huge grey truck got stuck. Good thing we knew Pete the guy that drove the road grater... he totally pulled us out.

There's something awesome about small town livin'. Even the awkward hellos have a certain charm. haha.

alaskahdgirl said...

LOL! Steve, did you make up those small town blogs? Totally funny. My next door neighbor is from Wrangel (she's Tlingit from the Eagle Clan w/7 brothers. Yikes, I might have to make a side trip to Wrangel when I come & visit Craig!) and well, quite frankly, I think got a bit jealous when I told her I have friends now living in Craig. I believe I even witnessed her drift off in her mind, yearning for her days spent in Southeast Alaska. As a former Juneauite myself, I shared in her thoughts. Amy & Steve, you'll laugh at this, she asked where you two were this year as my back yard is still a mess.