Saturday, February 7, 2009

And One Small Carry-On


A ray of light in the airline industries reduced baggage policies is Alaska Airlines allowing three checked bags when flying within Alaska. Occasionally I have to fly to Juneau (Alaska's capital) for work. I take advantage of these trips by taking an empty cooler with me. The cooler gets filled at Costco before returning home. It's a pretty common tactic for folks here. On a recent trip however my cooler was 5 lbs over for the trip back. I got several knowing looks and a few "nice carry-on" as I boarded the plane with my 5 lb block of Tillamook cheese. (And yes, TSA makes you put cheese through the x-ray).

3 comments:

The Mad Fishicist said...

gratefully your cheese was less than 800 ISO or they would have had to hand check it.

Jake Ten Pas said...

All we can say is that we hope your five-pound block had been reduced to four by the time you landed. It's nice to know that airport security checkers can maintain a sense of perspective, as well. What is national security, after all, in the face of raw cheese craving? We at the Tillamook Cheese Fan Club were so impressed by your high-flying ingenuity that we made your tale of carry-on maneuvering the Post of the Day on our Web site, www.tillamookfanclub.com.
Thanks, and keep bringing the good cheddar home,
Jake Ten Pas
Tillamook Cheese Fan Club

Fullcurl said...

Mr. Ten Pas and the Tillamook Cheese Fan Club: Thank you for this honor. It was a highlight of my day.