Saturday, April 5, 2008

Steve's Religious Rambings #1 "Fishers of Men"



One of the reasons I started this blog was to discuss some thoughts on religion. Not because I know the answers, but more to just put my questionings out there.

I recently received an email from an Outside group with plans to evangelize along rivers in Alaska during the salmon runs. Particularly in high concentration areas like the combat fishing zone at the confluence of the Russian and Kenai Rivers. Working with missions teams here in Alaska, they will pass out 20 minute video "tracts" that have fishing tips from Alaskan guides which also weave the gospel along the way. They'd be fishing too. The group encouraged participants to contact church missions committees about sponsorship.

There was a time when I would have thought this was a great idea and wanted to be part of it. Now I'm not so sure. I don't want to criticize anyone's effort to spread the gospel, but lately I've been thinking that witnessing without relationship is a bad idea. So I don't see this missions trip accomplishing anything. If executed poorly it could cause more of a mess than help. At best it has a neutral impact and the missionaries get a cool Alaskan fishing trip out of it. I also question whether this is a good use of church funds, but then again, maybe funding fishing trips is a great idea. I think the outdoors is a fantastic tool for discipleship, but don't really see it or any venue as productive for cold-calling. I'd be a lot more amenable to this fishing trip if it was just a bunch of guys going on an adventure to Alaska with hearts open to hear from God in the theater of his creation. A religious mind-set though has to be DOING something for God rather than just BEING in relationship with him, where true witnessing flows out of. I think too often the Religion of Christianity (as opposed to a relationship with Jesus) stresses in an obligatory fashion things we have to do for God, imposing a lot of guilt on believers. Could it be that soft-pedaling the gospel on safe trips such as this is an easy way to assuage some of that guilt and "do your duty" for God?

BTW-That's me with a 2007 Sockeye salmon from the Russian River.

4 comments:

fishinpox said...

Wow, a sockeye before it turns all red. What a pretty fish!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I am just cruising around reading blogs. I love the pictures of Alaska! Although we are different religions, I wanted to say that I think that being in Alaska fishing on a wild river has got to be an amazing place where one can be closer to God than anywhere else. Yes, just by being in and a part of his creation, a part of something so much bigger than ourselves. There is something to be said for simply being.

Fullcurl said...

Thanks for stopping by teachmom. You're right, I do feel close to God besides the banks of a wild Alaskan river. Jesus himself was quite the fisherman. But as good as that it, it doesn't compare to being on top of an Alaskan mountain peak at the height of fall.

Anonymous said...

Can we get an Amen? I totally agree.