Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Brushes with Fame #2 "Rosey"




Rosey Fletcher is a 3 time Olympic snowboarder from Girdwood, a sleepy little ski town about 45 minutes south of Anchorage which is home to more dogs than people. Crashes at both the '98 and '02 Games kept her from the podium, but she bounced back at the 2006 Games with a bronze medal, just narrowly missing out on gold. In 2001 she won both national and world championships. She's a very popular athlete here in Alaska.

Every day I go to work I park in the municipal parking garage a few blocks from the office. The traffic flow is counter intuitive at best. I was leaving the garage a week or so ago doing the normal continuous left turns when I came around the corner to meet Rosey pulling out of her spot to begin her own series of continuous left turns. We both came to an awkward stop. Who had right of way? This situation happens from time to time and a disproportionate number results in the other driver exhibiting some sort of displeasure toward me. Rosey gave me about the biggest smile I think she could muster and cheerfully waved me on. In that brief moment of encounter I sensed a sincere "niceness" about her and I instantly really liked her. Amazing how important those first impressions can be and the power of a genuine smile.

3 comments:

Angie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Mad Fishicist said...

i stood in line with her at best buy dimond one day. you should ask rich about his brushes.

have you had any brushes with less attractive famous people like ferdinand noriega or phil collins?

Fullcurl said...

Probably, but I only pay attention to the pretty ones. Chances are I wouldn't know Phil Collins if we rammed shopping carts. (Did you catch that subtle ram reference?)